Meter Location Guidelines
The team at Intermountain Gas Co. (IGC) is committed to customer safety. The location of the meter, and protecting it from damage, is an important safety issue. The information below provides meter location guidance for new gas services. Additionally, IGC provides a summary of meter location standards in the brochure found here.
General Meter Location Standards
- Locate the meter as close to the front of the structure as possible
- The meter should be at least 36” from an electrical meter or a potential source of ignition
- The meter should not be located under or in front of windows or other building openings used as emergency fire exits
- Locate the meter where it is safe from damage caused by vehicles
- A graphical depiction of these standards is provided (See Figure 1 – General Meter Standard Locations).
Figure 1. General Meter Location Standards
Heavy Snow Area Standards
- IGC will not activate service until the meter is properly protected. Certain Idaho counties are considered heavy snow areas (see map here) and meters in these locations require protection from falling snow and ice. In these locations the meter will be located in an area where it receives additional protection from snow or ice that may fall from the roof (Figure 2 – Heavy Snow Area Meter Locations).
Figure 2. Heavy Snow Area Meter Locations
- In the event the meter cannot be located in the proper location on the structure – the meter will require additional protection from potential falling snow and ice.
Option 1 – The building will be constructed to provide at least 28” of overhang above the meter.
A. Roofline extends 28” from exterior wall (Figure 3.).
B. Construct 28” cover into building envelope (Figures 4 or 5)
Figure 4. Option 1-B Configuration 1
Option 2 – Purchase a commercially available snow shield. List of Intermountain Gas approved commercially available snow shields:
CBI Off-road Fab
Auto Parts Store
Address: 792 E. Iona Rd., Idaho Falls, ID 83401
Phone: (208) 528-0664
Quality Metal Fabrication
546 s Yellowstone Hwy Rexburg Idaho 83440
Premier Site Furniture
Address: 115 N. 2nd W, Rexburg, ID 83440
Phone: (208) 352-0742
Address: 3205 N Wright Rd, Idaho Falls, ID 83401
Phone: (208) 221-7583
Wayne Welding, LLC
649 N 550 E Firth, ID 83236
Phone: (208) 541-8255
To get on the list of approved vendors for snow shields, please see the required standards outlined in the engineered design form. Provide the Professional Engineered design to Intermountain Gas Company by emailing: [email protected]
Option 3 – Fabricate an engineer designed snow shield. The location of the meter is an important safety issue. There are several options to keep the meter protected. The option of constructing a freestanding snow shield is one of those options. For the full list of requirements download the Engineering Design Requirements for Meter Protection Assembly for here.