What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, and
toxic gas. Breathing too much CO deprives the body of oxygen and
can cause immediate physical danger and even death by asphyxiation.
Carbon monoxide is produced from the incomplete combustion of wood, fuel oil, propane, gasoline, kerosene, or natural gas.
Symptoms of CO poisoning
A person exposed to carbon monoxide may exhibit flu-like symptoms:
Tightness in the chest
- If CO poisoning is suspected, move the victim into fresh air if possible. Open doors and windows to improve ventilation. Call for medical assistance if the symptoms are severe or if they persist.
How to prevent CO poisoning
Never burn a charcoal or wood grill indoors or in a garage
Never sit in a parked car with the engine running and the windows closed *
Never operate a car in an enclosed area, such as a garage *
Never operate kerosene or propane heaters indoors without proper ventilation
Never use the gas range or oven for home heating
Never use heat-producing appliances that are not properly installed and maintained regularly. Use manufacturer’s recommendation for maintenance
Never block or close a source of combustion air to a heat-producing appliance
Never close a damper to fireplace unless the fire is completely out
Never operate a furnace without the fan compartment door in place
*Vehicle exhaust is responsible for more than half of unintentional carbon monoxide deaths each year.
If you suspect your natural
gas appliances are emitting carbon monoxide, call your local
dealer or Intermountain Gas Company office. Carbon monoxide detectors
should meet Underwriters Laboratory 2034-98 and / or IAS6-96
Intermountain Gas Company
Customer Service Center
7:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M.
Monday – Friday
|All Other Areas:
|All Emergency – 24 hour
Si le gustaría recibir
esta información en Español, favor de llamar Intermountain Gas